The Canadian Solar HiKu is a quintessential line of solar panels for those looking to reduce their electricity expenses. They feature a 132/120 dual cell plus poly and Mono-PERC technology and are suitable for residential and commercial use. Their power output range of 395 ~ 420 W makes them a versatile option.
Solar panels are an eco-friendly energy choice and can also benefit you by saving money in the long term. Canadian Solar is one of Australia’s most popular brands, and consumers here recognise it as a trusted solar panel provider in the marketplace.
Large Aussie commercial solar market businesses invest in Canadian Solar panels to generate electricity. With the company’s rapid expansion in the Australian market, you can expect top-quality specs and high output in its solar panel ranges.
The HiKu solar modules are perfect for anyone looking to convert to a greener, independent, and more efficient source of electricity for both their homes and commercial use.
This post will provide all the necessary information about the Canadian solar HiKu Solar panel, including panel specifications, limitations, advantages, price range, and compatibility with inverters.
Let’s get into it!
What is the Canadian Solar HiKu?
The Canadian Solar HiKu solar panels range is one of Canadian Solar’s most popular products. They are based on poly and mono PERC technology and deliver an impressive power output of 330 ~ 460 W and efficiencies between 17.6% and 18.9%.
The Canadian Solar HiKu modules utilise one of nature’s most powerful resources, the sunlight, to make our lives more convenient.
This 370 W solar panel has a warranty of 12 years, but the modules in this series can reach up to 450 W. We have noticed an increased demand for Canadian HiKu solar panels in Australia over the past five years, and this demand will undoubtedly continue to grow in the coming years.
Canadian Solar is arguably the premier solar panel brand in Australia, offering a 12-year warranty and maximum efficiency of 83% for more than 20 years. The cutting-edge technology of this company guarantees efficiency on a global basis.
According to revenue generation, Canadian Solar is one of the most bankable companies in the solar panels manufacturing business. These panels are ideal for homeowners and give a fast return on your investment.
Canadian Solar HiKu Solar Panel Range
Canadian Solar HiKu has a range of solar panels suitable for residential and commercial purposes in Australia. These modules have a power output range of 395 to 420 Watts in 5 W increments.
Here’s a list of the six variants of the HiKu solar panel:
- HiKu CS3W-395P,
- HiKu CS3W-395P,
- HiKu CS3W-395P,
- HiKu CS3W-395P,
- HiKu CS3W-395P, and
- HiKu CS3W-395P.
Canadian Solar HiKu Solar Panel Technical Specifications
Canadian Solar HiKu is a high-quality solar panel in Australia. We are including both mechanical and electrical aspects of the HiKu panel in this post for a clear overview:
|HiKu Solar Panel
|144 [2 × (12 × 6)]
|2,108 × 1,048 × 40 mm
|24.9 kg (54.9 lbs)
|Crossbar-enhanced anodised aluminium alloy
|IP68, three bypass diodes
|(40′ HQ) 594 pieces
|HiKu Solar Panel
|-40 °C to +85 °C
|Maximum Output Voltage
|1500 V (IEC/UL) or 1000 V (IEC/UL)
|Module Fire Performance
|TYPE 1 (UL 61730 1500 V) TYPE 2 (UL 61730 1000 V)
|Maximum Fuse Rating
|Temperature Coefficient (Pmax)
|-0.35% / °C
|Temperature Coefficient (Voc)
|-0.27% / °C
|Temperature Coefficient (Isc)
|0.05% / °C
|Module Operating Temperature
|42 ± 3 °C
|0 ~ + 10 W
What is the Canadian Solar HiKu Solar Panel’s Power Output?
The Hiku power output equates to 330 ~ 460 W.
Hiku panels are some of the most efficient solar panels you will find. With this impressive power output range, these panels put their poly and Mono-PERC technology to good use.
What is the Canadian Solar HiKu Solar Panel’s Efficiency?
Canadian Solar Hiku’s module efficiency ranges between 17.6% and 18.9%.
The Hiku panels utilise a 144/132/120 dual cell that loses minimal power between cell connections. Hence, the panel’s power output reaches an impressive 455 W in most situations, with up to 18.9% efficiency.
What is the Canadian Solar HiKu’s Temperature Coefficient? Will it Perform Well in Australian Weather?
Canadian Solar Hiku’s temperature coefficient Pmax is -0.35% / °C.
The Hiku solar panels are built to suit the Australian weather all year round. They have a temperature coefficient of -0.35% per degree Celsius and a Nominal Module Operating Temperature (NMOT) of approximately 42 °C. Hence, the panels are fit for even the most scorching days.
What is the Canadian Solar HiKu’s Country of Origin?
Dr Shawn Qu founded Canadian Solar, in 2001, in Canada’s city of Guelph.
Canadian Solar is a leading brand in the solar industry and was established in Canada, as the name suggests, but most of the company’s products are manufactured in China.
Will the Canadian Solar HiKu Look Good on My Home?
The sleek and high-efficiency Canadian Solar Hiku panels are a cost-effective solution to any household’s energy needs.
These panels are fit for residential use. The high surface area and cutting-edge technology increase their efficiency, and the stylish metal framework looks good on any rooftop.
Canadian Solar HiKu Solar Panel Key Features
Brand new Canadian Solar modules are outfitted with Mono-PERC cells and are PID-free, improving the system’s overall productivity and increasing reliability. These advantages come without the burden of additional costs, so you can imagine how incredible this new technology is.
Here are the main features that HiKu panels showcase:
- Increased power. Canadian Solar produces 11% more power than conventional solar panels in the marketplace.
- Higher PTC rating. The PTC rating of Canadian Solar is around 91.90%.
- Solar panel efficiency. The efficiency of Canadian Solar at low irradiance is around 97.5%.
- Protective junction box. The IP68 junction box of Canadian solar protects the system and endures long-term weather.
- Low-temperature coefficient. The low value of temperature coefficient (Pmax) makes Canadian solar work more effectively.
- High snow and wind load. The hefty snow load in Canadian Solar rates at 6,000 Pa, and the wind load is 4,000 Pa. Hence, their systems are compatible with countries that experience extreme weather variations.
- Versatility. Canadian Solar HiKu is ideal for both residential and commercial purposes.
What is the Canadian Solar HiKu Warranty?
The Hiku panels come with a warranty of 12 years. Any fault in the product’s efficiency or craftsmanship can be claimed during this period.
Is the Canadian Solar HiKu Solar Panel Safe and Reliable?
Canadian Solar carries out internal reliability tests on modules for snow load, wind load, and more. The company has numerous safety and reliability certifications, including IEC, VDE, CE, TSA, and more, making the HiKu a trustworthy option. The panel has a snow load capacity of 5,400 Pa and wind load up to 3,600 Pa.
Canadian Solar HiKu uses advanced PERC (Passivated Emitter and Read Contact) technology to produce monocrystalline and polycrystalline modules. Unlike other manufacturers, Canadian Solar doesn’t overstate the panel efficiency rate by omitting the frame size in the total calculation.
HiKu solar panels are worth purchasing because they can be set up anywhere in Australia. These corrosion-resistant devices feature a 25-year product warranty, a superior choice to standard modules with just a 10-year warranty period.
The Canadian Solar HiKu panels are a sound investment where solar energy makes financial sense.
Advantages and Disadvantages of the Canadian Solar HiKu
Canadian Solar is one of the most reliable solar panel manufacturers in Australia. The company aims to balance price and performance to capture customers’ attention. The HiKu PV modules are a fine example of this value proposition.
Below is a summary of the HiKu’s main advantages:
- Tier 1 solar ranking: According to the latest report of Bloomberg New Energy (NEF), Canadian Solar HiKu was listed at the top of their tier list. This ranking contributes to the brand’s publicity and ensures the company’s financial health.
- Impressive warranty: Most Canadian Solar HiKu panels have a 12-year warranty period. However, some premium solar panels also ensure a 25-year product warranty and quality performance. If the panels cease functioning during this period, they can be repaired free of charge.
- High panel efficiency: Many PV modules have an efficiency of about 15% to 20%, while Canadian Solar HiKu offers 25% more linear power output. It’s at the top of the list of the highest efficiency rates in solar panel manufacturers. Moreover, Canadian Solar has low solar power loss in cell connections.
- Low-temperature coefficient: Canadian Solar HiKu has a low-temperature coefficient which indicates higher performance. The HiKu has a temperature coefficient of ~0.36% per degree Celsius, far lower than competitors’ values ranging from ~0.45% to ~0.37%.
- Cost and availability: Canadian Solar has four main offices in Australia, making it more affordable to gain easy access to tier 1 solar panels. Any warranty claim will be addressed immediately by local support teams.
- Reliability: The lower the value of LCOE, the better the performance level. The HiKu panel uses the best technology to minimise the Levelised Cost of Energy (LCOE) by up to 4.5% and overall system cost by 2.5%. It has a lower hotspot temperature and improved shading tolerance.
- Cell size: Canadian Solar HiKu has a cell size of 166×83 mm, which is comparatively larger than typical solar cells. Due to their increased size, the cells can absorb more sunlight. It has higher power output and lowers BOS cost.
- Frame dimensions: Canadian Solar HiKu solar panels come with a frame size of 40 mm. These frames are constructed from aluminium alloy for robust protection and cell longevity. It has reserved mounting holes so you can easily install them on your roof.
- Cutting-edge technology: Canadian Solar uses advanced technology to provide low irradiance output performance during the morning, evening, and even on cloudy days. It delivers 11% more power than other conventional modules present in the competitive marketplace.
- IP 68 rating: Canadian Solar HiKu comes with IP68 split junction boxes. They provide better heat dissipation to the module and ensure higher safety.
The main disadvantages of the HiKu modules include:
- Product degradation: The solar module’s performance decreases, generating less energy over time.
- Misleading brand name: The company’s name can be deceiving for those who assume the panels are manufactured in Canada. However, the majority of HiKu panels are made in China.
- Annual efficiency decrease: There is an efficiency drop in Canadian Solar HiKu of almost 0.55% yearly.
- Lower efficiency in higher temperatures: Many models of Canadian solar have a high-temperature coefficient (Pmax) which results in a decrease in efficiency level with the rise in temperature above 25 degrees Celsius or 77 degrees Fahrenheit.
Canadian Solar HiKu Installation
It is essential to gather information about any approval and requirements for the site from relevant authorities to avoid any problems with warranty claims down the line.
Here are five necessary steps that you must follow when installing Canadian HiKu solar panels:
1. Find optimum space: It’s crucial to find the optimum orientation and tilting angle for the panels to maximise the efficiency and annual yield of Canadian solar HiKu modules. The highest efficiency can be achieved when sunlight falls perpendicularly on the panels.
2. Module wiring: Wiring the solar panel is complicated, so we advise contacting a Canadian Solar sales representative to ensure the wiring is up to par. The open-circuit voltage (Voc) and short circuit current (Isc) must not differ substantially from the given specifications, indicating a wiring fault. Ensure all the connectors are correctly mated.
3. Grounding: A qualified professional must undertake the grounding connections. The proper grounding method is defined in the installation manual of Canadian Solar HiKu that must be followed properly to ensure the system’s safety.
4. Mounting: A registered engineer must approve the mounting design. Bolts must connect panels to the supporting frame through mounting holes. The engineer must fasten each panel at four points on two opposite sides. However, heavy wind areas need additional mounting points to ensure the safety of both panels and surroundings.
5. Maintenance: Proper maintenance is required regularly to keep the Canadian Solar HiKu panels clear of snow, bird droppings, seeds, pollen, and dust. However, if the modules are tilted at 15 degrees, the rain will provide a self-cleaning effect. Check the wiring and supports of the modules periodically to protect against electric shock.
Canadian Solar HiKu Compatibility with Solar Inverters
Although the HiKu model is largely compatible with almost all kinds of inverters and various photovoltaic appliances, we recommend pairing it with a Canadian Solar string inverter for maximum efficiency.
Inverters are electrical appliances that convert direct current (DC) into alternating current (AC). The electricity your solar panels produces is direct current which most household devices cannot use.
Canadian Solar HiKu modules are fully compatible with grid-tied and transformer-less grid solar inverters. Approximately 24 models of Canadian solar inverters are fully functional in three-phase architectures. They are suitable for commercial solar rooftops and smaller applications mounted on the ground.
The Canadian solar inverter is the best cost-effective choice for central inverters with the condition that the NRTL must approve it.
These solar inverters are designed to produce maximum yield and work as modular building blocks. They ensure BoS savings on overall costs. The conversion efficiency of Canadian Solar utility string inverters is 99.1%, commercial string inverters 99%, and residential string inverters 98.7%.
Canadian Solar believes in manufacturing outstanding solar panels in the market using advanced technology and attractive designs.
It continues to increase its popularity among residential and commercial customers in Australia due to its higher efficiency, affordable price range, extended warranty, and increased reliability than competing solar panels in the market.
With a winning combination of design and functionality, the HiKu PV module will significantly reimburse your installation costs in less time.
Is the Canadian Solar HiKu Worth it for Your Home? Our Opinion
The Canadian Solar Hiku panels are an innovative and cost-effective solution if you want to curb your energy expenses.
Not only is Canadian Solar one of the leading solar panel brands in the world, but it is also highly reliable in terms of quality and price-to-value ratio. We believe the HiKu panels range is efficient, affordable, and a worthy investment for your household.
Interested in solar? By clicking below, you can use our smart solar calculator to find out just how much you could save with solar, what rebate you are eligible for, and your impact on the environment.
Don’t wait until next quarter’s bloated bill, and get started today!
Join over 20,000 homeowners who have made the switch with Nectr or the 1000+ positive reviewers who have been more than happy with their solar install.
Otherwise, you can always contact us on 1300 133 556 or email us at email@example.com.