The SonnenBatterie Hybrid 9.53 is a German-engineered and Australian-certified single-phase battery. Its integrated design allows you to regulate your storage capacity to accommodate any changes to your home’s future energy requirements.
When combined with Black Start, the battery provides continuous backup power to your home in the event of a grid failure.
Many homes and small businesses are now seeing the need for a personal battery system. Homeowners who install a solar panel without one must export any generated energy back into the grid. But with the SonnenBatterie Hybrid 9.53 battery, they can utilise that energy at night and make regular savings on their yearly electricity bills.
Solar battery systems vary widely in terms of performance, cost, reliability, and efficiency. As such, it’s crucial to understand the pros and cons before making a purchase.
This review has everything you need to know about the Sonnenbatterie Hybrid 9.53. We’ll cover its specifications, features, advantages, disadvantages, and other concerns to help you make the correct solar battery investment decision.
What is the SonnenBatterie Hybrid 9.53?
SonnenBatterie 9.53 is a fully integrated energy storage system for homes and small businesses produced by Sonnen. It’s composed of safe and long-lasting lithium iron phosphate batteries (LiFePO4), otherwise known as LFP.
The SonnenBatterie 9.53 is DC-coupled but can be installed in an AC system, making it more flexible than most batteries in the marketplace.
The device features smart energy management software and a powerful hybrid inverter with three fully integrated components to offer a high-quality product.
This energy management and battery storage solution includes a self-learning algorithm that constantly adapts to your consumption patterns. Over the long run, your household or small business can achieve high self-consumption and energy-saving levels.
Is the SonnenBatterie Hybrid 9.53 Solar Battery Worth it?
SonnenBatterie has become one of Australia’s leading solar energy storage systems, with a significant market share compared to the Tesla Powerwall.
According to Sonnen, the Hybrid 9.53 battery lets customers cover 80% of their yearly energy requirements with self-produced, clean energy.
Using a solar power system can reduce your grid dependency and utilise the energy you would have otherwise fed into the grid in daylight.
Any savings you make in a practical timeframe will rely on the size of your solar panels and storage system, where you live, and your daily energy usage. However, a typical household in Australia can expect to save hundreds of dollars on their annual electricity costs at the minimum.
Overall, the SonnenBatterie Hybrid 9.53 offers stable energy storage that potential customers of solar batteries should strongly consider. Although the cost of a Sonnen battery is higher than competing solutions, it’s a worthwhile acquisition.
The battery is designed to last well beyond its 10-year warranty period (expandable up to 25 years), thus giving you plenty of time to generate a return on your investment.
How Much Storage Does the SonnenBatterie Hybrid 9.53 Have?
The SonnenBatterie Hybrid comes in various sizes, with a nominal capacity range of 2.5 kWh to 15 kWh in 2.5 kilowatts increments.
This doesn’t mean that the battery can grow with increased energy use, so if you have plans to expand your energy needs in the future without adding more batteries, consider purchasing a large cabinet size.
The SonnenBatterie Hybrid’s charge/discharge rate is 3.3 kW, except in the case of the 5 kWh unit, where it’s 2.5 kW.
A 15-kilowatt-hour system with 13.5 usable kilowatt-hours of storage will take more than four hours to charge at a steady 3.3 kilowatts of power. One factor to consider is that a smaller kilowatt system will take less time to charge than a larger variant.
SonnenBatterie is sold in three cabinet sizes, and you can speak to our installation experts at Nectr for advice on the best capacity for your needs.
How Long Will the SonnenBatterie Hybrid 9.53 Solar Battery Run My Home?
Sonnen batteries work by reserving the power your solar panels have generated throughout the day for you to use at night. However, the uniqueness of this storage system lies in its in-built smart management system, which optimises your battery for longevity.
Sonnen has produced over nine different battery modules. In essence, they’ve made incremental system modifications nine separate times. Sonnen’s latest 9.53 model has an operational capacity of roughly 90% of the recorded storage size and an output ranging from 2.5 kW to 3.3 kW.
The average household uses roughly 20 kWh in 24 hours. The 15 kWh SonnenBatterie 9.53 solar battery system has a 13.5 kWh energy storage capacity and an output of 3.3kw of continuous power. In a typical home, a power output of 2.5 kW or 3.3 kW is sufficient to cover energy needs for the entire night.
But that may not apply precisely to your household or business. As such, it’s wise to avoid the pitfalls of going solar without having all the information at hand.
SonnenBatterie Hybrid 9.53 Technical Specifications
The SonnenBatterie smart storage system automatically adjusts to energy usage in your household. Its datasheet highlights its robust power-saving ability/
The table below gives an overview of its data:
|SonnenBatterie Hybrid 9.53|
|Nominal Capacity||10 kWh|
|Depth of Discharge (Usable Capacity)||90%|
|Cell Technology||Lithium iron phosphate|
|Weight in Kg (Cabinet Option 2)||154 kg|
|Dimensions (H x W x D)||137 cm x 67 cm x 23 cm|
|Max Battery Efficiency||98%|
|High Ambient Temperature Range||-5 °C to 45 °C|
|Dust and Water Protection||IP30|
|Warranty Period||Ten years or 10,000 cycles|
SonnenBatterie Hybrid 9.53 Solar Battery Key Features
- It’s available in sizes ranging from 5 kWh to 15 kWh with expandable 2.5 kWh module increments.
- As an all-inclusive hybrid battery, you’re ready to connect upon purchase to a solar PV, a battery, and the grid.
- It has high efficiency of 98%.
- Sonnen batteries consist of lithium iron phosphate (LFP) and are cobalt-free.
- It can be AC-coupled to an existing solar system.
- It has a 5 kW inverter and dual MPPT.
- The SonnenBatterie hybrid has a 90% storage capacity (5 kWh outputs 4.5 kWh).
- It can monitor both the grid and power generation.
- The product’s design lifecycle is 20 years.
- It features a 10-year or 10,000 charge cycles conditional warranty.
- It can be installed indoors and outdoors (outside installations will require an enclosing).
- The battery’s smart system monitors solar production and predicts future energy consumption.
Is SonnenBatterie Hybrid 9.53 Solar Battery Easy to Install?
Sonnen batteries are designed to be installed inside enclosed areas such as your garage or home. However, Sonnen battery systems can only endure up to 45 °C, so outdoor installation isn’t ideal. If you plan to have your installation outdoors, your battery needs adequate shelter from the elements.
You may also need to install a separate cooling unit when planning your installation.
Some homeowners already have solar panels installed on their roofs. To that end, the SonnenBatterie Hybrid 9.53 can be retrofitted to any installed solar system. You don’t need to worry about changing your solar panels and solar inverter.
However, you can’t buy your home solar batteries from Sonnen directly; you’ll need to purchase through accredited companies like Nectr.
Moreover, the space where you plan to install your Sonnen batteries will need to meet specifications, and we can help you through these when you request a quote.
Is the SonnenBatterie Hybrid 9.53 Solar Battery Reliable? Does it Include a Warranty?
The SonnenBatterie Hybrid 9.53 solar battery is designed to last beyond Sonnen’s warranty period. Even after the guaranteed timeline elapses, your SonnenBatterie system will still work at high efficiency (75%), enough to support your household for many more years.
Although each battery works differently for homeowners based on requirement and usage, Sonnen offers a 10-year warranty period on all components in a Sonnen home battery. This warranty can expand beyond the initial period up to 25 years.
In November 2018, Sonnen opened their manufacturing plant in Elizabeth, South Australia. They are committed to the Australian market and are Australian Made certified.
We can confidently say that a Sonnen Hybrid battery is a safe bet for those looking to install a home battery solution irrespective of their budget, goals, or house and system design.
However, batteries represent a substantial cost for your PV system, so knowing your battery brand’s warranty is crucial to determining its overall worth.
Is the SonnenBatterie Hybrid 9.53 Solar Battery Safe?
It certainly is.
The SonnenBatterie Hybrid 9.53 solar battery consists of long-lasting lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries, regarded as the safest battery chemistry available for home systems. Sonnen has been testing battery chemistries since 2009 and ultimately chose battery cells with LFP for their safety and durability.
Reports on the Sonnen website state that over 80,000 units have been installed worldwide. This shows the impressive number of households and small businesses that trust SonnenBatteries.
- The SonnenBatterie Hybrid 9.53 allows you to store your solar power generated daily for nighttime use.
- A 10-year guarantee or 10,000 cycle life warranty means you have the backing of a world-class guarantee behind your energy storage investment.
- Monitoring your energy production and usage is effortless through the Sonnen app and online portal.
- If the system is enhanced with a power backup, you go can off-grid efficiently with a more lucrative return on your solar power.
- While other batteries can drain your solar panels to recharge, the Sonnen Hybrid detaches itself from the grid so the solar system and the battery work in tandem, continuously charging when the sun shines.
- Users can control Sonnen solar batteries remotely through smart home devices such as Google Home or Amazon Alexa.
- You don’t need to buy an additional module for your new system; the SonnenBatterie Hybrid 9.53 can connect directly to your solar system with its built-in hybrid inverter that converts DC electricity into AC.
- SonnenBatteries are more reliable than competing options since they contain lithium iron phosphate in their cells. Lithium batteries are considered the most stable battery chemical compound with the longest lifespan (10,000 cycle life).
Another benefit of purchasing a Sonnen battery is that you might qualify for the South Australian Solar Rebates & Government Incentives in 2022.
- The Sonnen Hybrid systems cannot function as a backup electricity supply without purchasing an external backup box which needs to be installed at an extra cost.
- The external backup box offers a very limited 1.8 kW of continuous power out with a maximum surge rating of 4.1 kW.
- This works for backing up basic loads such as lights, computers, and a television screen, but it will not be able to back up kitchen appliances, pressing irons, or an air-conditioning system.
- The Sonnen Hybrid system is not designed to function as a dedicated off-grid power solution.
- A larger backup option called the SonnenProtect provides up to 2.5 kW continuous output. It may also serve as a UPS, but it cannot charge from solar during a blackout.
Which Inverters are Compatible with the SonnenBatterie Hybrid 9.53?
The SonnenBatterie Hybrid 9.53 combines a solar inverter, charger, and battery in one simple unit. It is DC-coupled; however, it can be AC-coupled to an existing solar system. There’s no need to buy additional components for your system.
Its 5 kW inverter and dual MPPT feature enable it seamlessly convert DC electricity into AC.
The Sonnen range of inverters is compatible with up to six of their own integrated Sonnen 2.5 kilowatt-hour batteries. However, the SonnenBatterie Hybrid 9.53 is also compatible with inverters such as the Sungrow SH5K + LG (low voltage), Pylon Tech and Goodwe EM + LG (low voltage), BYD, Pylon Tech, and GCL inverters.
An increasing number of solar energy users are switching to hybrid inverters due to their immense benefits for solar generations.
You can use our smart solar calculator below to find out just how much you can save with solar, what rebate you are eligible for, and your positive impact on the environment.
Don’t wait until next quarter’s bloated bill, and get started today!
Join over 20,000 homeowners who have made the switch with Nectr or the 1000+ positive reviewers who have been more than happy with their solar install.
Otherwise, you can always contact us on 1300 133 556 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.